Our cozy, Victorian cottage was built in 1909. The home builder, Charles W. Smith, was an architecture professor at the University. He stamped his initials and the date in the molding around the window in the living area (originally the dining room) and again in the guest bedroom on the molding around the door. Two of the trees on the property are over 100 years old, as the home sits on land that was part of a 120-acre tract staked in the Oklahoma Land Run.
The land was acquired August 10, 1895 by Orin U. Wittum. Mr. Wittum sold several portions of the acreage. In 1907 he sold part of the acreage to L.B. and Mary E. Jones. In 1909 the Jones dedicated part of the land to the public, “For public use as high ways all streets and alleys as shown by plat.”
The neighborhood is rightfully named, the Jones Addition.
About one month after dedicating a portion of the land for public use, the Jones sold a portion of the property to Alex and Carrie Drake. It is unclear who commissioned the home to be built but it would appear it was likely the Drakes. Mr. Drake was a banker. Because the neighborhood is within walking distance to downtown, many of the bankers, merchants and shop owners lived here so they could walk to work.
On July 21, 1916 Alex and Carrie Drake mortgaged the property to John E. Moseley. The Moseleys moved to Stillwater from Wagoner, Oklahoma so their three daughters could attend the University.
Frances Grayson, the oldest daughter, acquired the home after the death of her parents.
It was deeded to her for $1. The home directly north is believed to have been built by Ms. Grayson for her caretaker and helper in the 1930s , thus the shared driveway.
Both homes remained in the Moseley family until 1980, when the homes were purchased separately at
We are still searching for old photos and more information about the home!
If you have any information about the home, please contact us!
In the meantime, THANK YOU for choosing to stay at Our House!